Sunday, October 23, 2011

Don't cry because it is over...

Smile because it happened.

My dear Aunt was very sick these past few months. She was diagnosed with pancreatic/liver cancer this past summer and was not expected to live more than six months. She had a stroke on October 7th and passed away on October 13th. I was able to go and say goodbye to her the day before she died. Having the chance to say goodbye, is something I hadn't experienced before. I was very grateful to have the chance and have those few tender moments with her. I will never forget that.

In June, I took her some gifts and she gave me some things she had wanted me to have before she died. She also asked me and two other nieces to speak at her Memorial Service. It was such a nice visit and we had a great time talking about my dad(her brother) and other things.

I will miss her presence in my life. The thoughtful birthday cards and Christmas cards...and just the fact that she was around. She never married or had children, so all her nieces and nephews were her children.

I was proud to say a few words in her honor. It was a beautiful fall day and as per her request there was a nice luncheon afterward with boxed lunches. It was great food and great to see some cousins that I hadn't seen for many years. That was what Aunt J wanted, for all the family, particularly cousins to visit with one another.

No comments: