Tuesday, May 12, 2009

My Grandma Reece


It's been 10 years since my sweet Grandma Reece passed away. Both of my grandmothers passed away within a year of each other and I never knew my Grandpas. I really cherish all the memories I had with both of my grandmothers. They were both very strong women. For those of you with all your grandparents or at least some of them, how lucky you are...a.k.a. Brandon! He is one of those lucky people who has all four grandparents alive and well. A couple of years ago, I wrote some of these cherished memories of my Grandma Reece and since some of my cousins read this, I thought I would share:

*We were the same ward with Grandma in Orem when we moved to Utah in the early 80’s.
*She baked bread and liked to find new “healthy” recipes.
*She always took care of me at her house when I was sick and my mom had to work.
*I stayed with her when my Mom and Dave went to Hawaii for a week.
*She loved to watch People’s Court everyday with Judge Wapner! He was the best.
*We congregated at her trailer on Sundays with the Johnson girls. I have fond memories of this and I think at about 7 pm, the "grown-ups" would come in the bedroom with us girls to watch “America’s Funniest Home Videos”. We used to joke that the adults thought everything was funny-even the "toast popping"! Grandma loved us all there visiting together.
*After Dave died, I had to go upstairs to talk to Grandma. We lived beneath her in the four-plex at the time. She was so distraught. She loved Dave so much. It was a very hard time for her and all of us.
*When I lived beneath her in the four-plex, I took her goodies periodically. She was a “child of the depression” and always saved the paper plates to give back to me! But she really appreciated the goodies.
*She was a true republican. She loved Rush Limbaugh and listened to the radio a lot.
*In the few hours after she passed away, some of us were gathered at my Aunt's house clear until midnight to say our goodbyes. My cousin's daughter Tawni was about 3 at the time, and she called Grandma Reece "Reecie". When they wheeled Grandma out the door to the mortuary van, she called out, "Bye Reecie."

I'm so grateful for her presence in my life! What a great legacy she has left. Love you Grandma!

10 comments:

Lyndzi said...

I just lost my Grandma 3 weeks ago and all of your memories remind me of my own. She always made me pb and honey sandwhiches. Yeah for Grandmas! :)

The aMAYSing Family said...

You made me tear up! :)

Being the "Idaho" grandkids we weren't around Grandma was much as you guys were but I still have fond memories of her. I remember being really little when she lived in IF and my mom and her would go to yard sales on Saturday and they would say "we are going sailing" and I would think "I want to go" and then when I found out they were going (yard) saleing...I thought "how boring" ...now as an adult I go "sailing" alot! :)

I remember going to her trailer and playing with you guys and swimming in her pool. She would always have chocolate covered donuts and chocolate ice milk.

I remember her being so full of life...lots of spunk and zip and my mom complaining about how fast she would drive "Momma...you are driving too fast!" and Grandma telling my mom "I'm adult I've earned the right to drive fast!"

One of my favorite things (and I dont know who she originally told it to whether it was Diana or my mom) was that Grandma said that when she died that she was going to pick herself out one of the Stripling Warriors! -- Whenever I think about her I think about that and whenever we talk about the Stripling Warriors I think of Grandma!

I hope she's got her Stripling Warrior! :)

Tina said...

That was so sweet Jen. I loved my Grandparents and miss old people. I used to watch People's court all of the time too! She sounded like an amazing person!

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

Thanks for those memories Lori! I remember the ice milk too, and the term "saleing"...and yes, saleing has become a lot more fun for me over the years! Love the Stripling Warrior comment. I hope so too!

Platt Lucky 7 said...

Loved it! I liked hearing the stories from Lori about Grandma :)

Melanie Ann Millett said...

Awesome 80s pic

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

It was actually early 90's.

Brandon and Jen Jensen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brandon and Jen Jensen said...

But still a fun fashion time period! ;)

Lisa said...

Jen, thanks for the memories of Grandma. I really miss her still.